Cinnamon, an aromatic spice derived from the bark of trees belonging to the genus Cinnamomum, has been used for centuries for its medicinal and flavoring properties. The sweet and warm taste of cinnamon is loved by many, and studies have shown that it has many health benefits, making it a valuable addition to any diet.
16 Health Benefits of Cinnamon – enty
One of the biggest advantages of cinnamon is that it is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It helps to reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to many chronic diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, and cancer. The spice also contains antioxidants, which help to fight off free radicals that can damage cells and lead to aging and disease.
Cinnamon is known to be great for digestion and has been proven to be helpful in reducing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The spice helps to reduce bloating, and it can also help to relieve gas and other gastrointestinal issues.
Amazing Health Benefits of Cinnamon Powder – Pioneer Cottage
Cinnamon powder is a convenient way to incorporate cinnamon into your diet. This spice has been proven to improve blood sugar control, making it an excellent option for those with diabetes. Cinnamon helps to reduce insulin resistance, which is a major factor in the development of Type 2 diabetes. It is also shown to reduce fasting blood sugar levels, which is crucial in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels in the long run.
There is also some evidence to suggest that cinnamon can help to reduce the risk of heart disease. Studies have shown that the spice can help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure, both of which are major contributors to heart disease. The antioxidants in cinnamon also play a role in reducing inflammation, which is also a significant risk factor for heart disease.
Additional Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Besides these major health benefits, cinnamon also has other advantages that make it valuable to include in your dietary habits:
- Cinnamon has anti-fungal properties, making it effective in killing candida, the bacteria that causes yeast infections.
- Cinnamon has been shown to have anti-cancer properties, specifically in reducing the growth of cancer cells.
- Cinnamon has antibacterial properties, making it effective in treating infections.
- Cinnamon has been proven to be helpful in reducing menstrual cramps and easing PMS symptoms.
- Cinnamon is a natural aphrodisiac, and it is believed to enhance sexual function and performance.
How to Add Cinnamon to your Diet
The easiest way to incorporate cinnamon into your diet is to add it to your food and beverages. Cinnamon can be used in a variety of culinary dishes, including baked goods, oatmeal, and smoothies. Cinnamon can also be added to tea and coffee, providing a warm and cozy flavor to your drinks.
If you are looking for a more convenient way to consume cinnamon, you can find cinnamon supplements in tablet, capsule, or powder form. Before taking supplements, it is important to speak with your healthcare provider, as supplements can interact with medications and may not be suitable for everyone.
Tips and Ideas for Using Cinnamon in Cooking
Cinnamon can be used in a variety of dishes beyond your typical cinnamon roll. Here are some delicious tips and ideas for adding this spice into your culinary creations:
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of sliced apples for a simple and healthy snack.
- Add cinnamon to your morning cup of coffee or tea for a flavorful and cozy drink.
- Use cinnamon in baking, adding it to muffins, pancakes, and waffles for a sweet and warm flavor.
- Add cinnamon to your smoothies to give them a little extra flavor and health benefits.
- Add cinnamon to savory dishes like roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash for a unique twist on traditional dishes.
FAQs about Cinnamon
1. What is the best type of cinnamon to use?
The best type of cinnamon to use is Ceylon cinnamon, which is also known as “true” cinnamon. This type of cinnamon is sweeter and more delicate in flavor compared to the more common Cassia cinnamon, which can have a bitter and overpowering taste.
2. Can cinnamon be harmful?
Cinnamon is safe for most people when taken in moderation. However, consuming large amounts of cinnamon can cause liver damage due to the coumarin content in the spice. The amount of coumarin in Ceylon cinnamon is much lower than that in Cassia cinnamon, so it is recommended to use Ceylon for regular consumption.
3. Can cinnamon help with weight loss?
Cinnamon has been shown to help with weight loss by reducing insulin resistance and controlling blood sugar levels. However, it is important to note that cinnamon alone cannot result in significant weight loss and must be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
4. Can cinnamon be used as a natural remedy for colds and flu?
Cinnamon has antiviral properties that can help to combat the viruses that cause colds and flu. Additionally, cinnamon can help to soothe sore throats and reduce coughing. However, cinnamon should not be used as a replacement for medical treatment, and you should always seek the advice of a healthcare professional if you are feeling ill