In today’s recipe, we will be cooking a delicious dish for our keto-loving friends out there – Saba Shioyaki! This traditional Japanese dish is simple and easy to make, but bursting with flavor.
First up, let’s talk about the star ingredient – Saba, or mackerel fish. This oily fish is not only delicious but also packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential to our health and well-being. So not only does this dish taste great, but it’s also good for you!
Now, let’s jump right into the recipe.
– 2 whole Saba (mackerel) fish
– 1/2 cup of sea salt
– 8 cloves of garlic
– 1 inch of ginger
– 1/4 cup of sake
– Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Clean and gut the Saba fish. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Score the fish on both sides, diagonally. This will help the fish cook more evenly and absorb the flavor better.
3. Sprinkle sea salt on both sides of the fish, making sure to rub it in a little. Let it sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. While you wait for the salt to do its magic, peel and chop the garlic into small pieces. Grate the ginger using a microplane or grater.
5. In a small saucepan, heat up the sake until hot but not boiling. Turn off the heat and add in the garlic and ginger. Let it steep for about 10 minutes until the flavors are infused into the sake.
6. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
7. Rinse the salt off the fish under cold running water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
8. Brush the fish with the garlic and ginger infused sake, making sure to get it into the scored parts as well. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
9. Place the fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put it in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the skin is crispy and golden brown. You can also broil it for the last 5 minutes to give it a nice char.
10. Once done, take the fish out of the oven and let it rest for a minute or two.
11. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the fish (optional).
12. Serve the fish with a side of steamed vegetables or salad for a healthy and satisfying meal!
There you have it, folks! A simple and delicious Saba Shioyaki recipe that is perfect for those who are on a keto diet or just looking for a healthy and flavorful meal. Give it a try and let us know what you think!