Carrot cake is a perfect way to indulge your sweet tooth while ensuring that you get all the essential nutrients that your body needs. Made with freshly grated carrots and a rich blend of spices, this cake offers a combination of flavors and textures that are sure to tickle your taste buds.
Carrot Cake Cake Roll
If you’re looking for a delicious and visually appealing carrot cake recipe, you can’t go wrong with this Carrot Cake Cake Roll. Here’s how to make it:
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 15×10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add the granulated sugar, oil, and vanilla, beating until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Gently stir in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts, if using.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Tap the pan once on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
- Sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with confectioners’ sugar. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen. Immediately invert the cake onto the prepared towel and remove the parchment paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with a short side. Set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread the cream cheese frosting (recipe below) over the cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Re-roll the cake, starting at the short side.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, beating until smooth.
5 Ways To Enjoy Carrots
Beyond using carrots in delicious cakes, here are a few more ways to enjoy them:
1. Roasted Carrots
Roasting carrots brings out their natural sweetness and makes them tender and delicious. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and chop carrots into 1-inch pieces. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
2. Carrot Soup
Carrot soup is a comforting dish that’s perfect for chilly nights. In a large pot, heat a bit of oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until they’re soft and translucent. Add peeled and chopped carrots and cook for a few more minutes. Pour in enough chicken or vegetable broth to cover the carrots. Simmer until the carrots are very tender. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it’s smooth. Add a bit of cream if desired and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Carrot Fries
Carrot fries are a healthier alternative to french fries. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and slice carrots into thin strips. Toss them with olive oil, salt, and any other seasonings you like (garlic powder, paprika, etc.). Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
4. Carrot Juice
Carrot juice is a nutritious drink that’s packed with vitamins and minerals. Wash and peel a few carrots and chop them into small pieces. Place them in a juicer and process until smooth. Serve chilled.
5. Carrot Salad
Carrot salad is a refreshing and crunchy side dish that’s perfect for summer picnics. Peel and grate carrots using a box grater or food processor. Toss with your favorite vinaigrette and any other ingredients you like (raisins, nuts, etc.).
Enjoy these delicious and healthy ways to add more carrots to your diet! Whether you’re making a rich and decadent carrot cake or a simple and nutritious carrot soup, this versatile vegetable is sure to add flavor and color to your meals.