Summer is upon us! And what better way to enjoy the warm weather than with a delicious and refreshing Caprese salad? We have two different recipes for you today, each with its own unique twist on this Italian classic.
First up, we have Suzanne’s Simple Summer Caprese Salad. This recipe is perfect for those who want a classic Caprese salad with a few added ingredients for extra flavor.
Suzanne’s Simple Summer Caprese Salad
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread for serving
- Quarter the tomatoes, and then slice the mozzarella cheese into rounds.
- Arrange the tomato and mozzarella on a large serving platter, alternating them slightly.
- Tear the fresh basil leaves into small pieces and scatter them over the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle the extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad, and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with a hearty crusty bread to mop up all the juice.
This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy summer lunch or dinner. The combination of sweet tomatoes, salty mozzarella, and fragrant basil is always a winner. And the added flavors of balsamic vinegar and olive oil take this simple salad to the next level.
Next up, we have a slightly different take on the Caprese salad. Our friends at 4D Gelateria have created a Caprese salad with a twist – using heirloom tomatoes and a homemade pesto sauce for extra flavor.
4D Gelateria’s Heirloom Caprese Salad
- 2-3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto sauce:
- Pulse the pine nuts, garlic, and basil in a food processor until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the salad:
- Arrange the sliced heirloom tomatoes on a serving platter.
- Top with sliced fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle with the homemade pesto sauce and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
The addition of homemade pesto sauce takes this Caprese salad to the next level. The pesto sauce combines fragrant basil leaves, nutty pine nuts, and savory Parmesan cheese for a burst of flavor in every bite. And using heirloom tomatoes adds a touch of sweetness and variety to this classic salad.
So there you have it – two delicious and refreshing takes on the classic Caprese salad. Whether you prefer a simple and easy version or a more elaborate one, these recipes are sure to be a hit at any summer gathering. Enjoy!